Monday, March 22, 2010

Is This Real Life...

Dear Mind Readers,

I do not know if this is a good thing, but the USA has seven gold medals in the special Olympics. We are in second place behind Russia. It is nice to know that our special people are among the best in the world. Thanks to my good friend Dennis for that prospective. Here's what is on my mind today.

If I counted the number of hours I have spent watching television, movies, commercials, and YouTube videos it should be no surprise sometimes it feels like I can't have original experiences. (I counted the hours. It is exactly 33,488 hours.) We love to compare things in our life to situations that we see in the media. At times we even inadvertently see the media playing itself out in our day to day lives. A prime example of this was when I saw two old people driving down a California Highway in a convertible. I wanted to think, "Wow what a cute old couple!" ; instead, I started humming the song from the Cialas commercials. Then I pictured the two of them holding hands in separate bathtubs while watching the sunset as the announcer said, "If you have a (you no what) lasting longer then four hours see a doctor immediately." (Was that really necessary, who isn't going to the doctor in that situation?)

Later that same day I went to the pet store. I was in the reptile section and saw a Gecko, and asked him, " How to save 15% or more on my car insurance." Then I was in the "not usually found in pet-stores" section and saw a full grown duck. I stubbed my toe really hard and I was hurt and had to miss work. The duck wouldn't shut-up and kept quacking, "Aflac." These are the same thoughts that make me say, "I'll be back," in an Austrian accent whenever I leave home. Here is another prime example of the medias effects on my mind. Is it just me or whenever you are getting screwed big-time do you look around for hidden cameras and start thinking that your on Punk'd. i.e. I made a special trip to Wendy's to get five crispy nuggets for a dollar. I got up to the cash register and told cashier my wish only to find out they were out of nuggets. Are you kidding me? Wendy's out of chicken nuggets? Thats like Chevron running out of gas or an Old Country Buffet running out of fat people. It just doesn't happen. So, I started looking in the ketchup bin for hidden Punk'd cameras. Actually turns out there was a salmonella outbreak earlier that day. I have never been so glad not to get chicken nuggets because someone else got Punk'd with salmonella, Snap!

Aight, Mind Readers thanks for reading and remember the world is laughing at you so you better laugh back.

JHarp

No comments:

Post a Comment